Today’s my birthday, so I’m going to do something easy. 😛 I’m 27 today, so I’ll write up 27 random facts about me. I’d also love to know some random facts about you guys, so leave some in the comments!
This post will contain some affiliate links. To learn more about my affiliations, please see my Disclosure Statement.
27 Random Facts About Me
1. I was in my high school chamber choir. It’s how I met Zach! He was a tenor and I was an alto. We didn’t start dating until college, though. Unfortunately, I lost my passion for music in my senior year.
2. I don’t have any tattoos…but there are some that I would like to have.
3. I’m incredibly uncoordinated. The “Heads, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes” game was always difficult for me as a kid. I hate that damn game….
4. I have an extremely short fuse.
5. I love the mountains. My favorite place to vacation is Gatlinburg, TN. The beach is nice, too, though!
6. My perfect vacation was my honeymoon–just Zach and me holed up in a cabin with some wine and snow outside. Maybe one day we can do that again! I’m dying to go on a vacation that isn’t a family one. -_-
7. I have an English degree because I was young and just wanted to get the hell out of my parents’ house. If I could go back, I would do something in science or education.
8. As an extension of #7, I would rather teach college because I don’t particularly like children. I don’t hate them, but being around other people’s kids is one of my least favorite things.
9. I’m mostly into mysteries and sci-fi/fantasy books, but I also like some contemporary novels, though I’m picky about them. I’m not a huge fan of horror novels and I don’t like romance novels.
10. Zach and I love board games. Every Sunday, we spend the whole day at a gaming store in Alpharetta playing games. My favorite is Carcassonne. It’s a game you have to try because any description you hear will sound so boring, but it’s a lot of fun. I also like Letters from Whitechapel, 221B Baker Street, and Lords of Waterdeep. If you’re OK with super complicated games, Arkham Horror is a ton of fun…but it takes a while to learn. OK OK, a couple more. Ghost Stories is great, but you have to find online interpretations of the instruction manual because the guy who wrote it is difficult to understand. Also, it’s really difficult to beat. I also enjoy Pandemic and Splendor. And if you like Settlers of Catan, but don’t often have enough people, Struggle for Catan is a card-based version (that Zach prefers) and it’s a ton of fun! If you have someone you’re trying to buy a Christmas gift for this year, feel free to ask me about any of these games and I’ll write up a review about it. Board games are GREAT gifts! Out of all these games, Letters, Arkham, Ghost Stories, and Pandemic are co-op games…so it’s everyone working on a team against the board. Some people don’t like that, but I really do. Another co-op game that Zach really likes is Sentinels of the Multiverse. He also likes Legendary (great if you have someone who likes Marvel superheroes).
11. My birthday request for Zach was to just stay at home, play games, and binge watch shows. I’m not a “go out and party” kind of person. Some of Zach’s friends have told me (to my face and without getting to know me before making this judgment…which I find weird and irritating) that they believe the reason I don’t party now is because I partied a lot when I was younger. That’s not true. I have never enjoyed partying. I did drink a bit in college, but it was always with two friends of ours (Zach’s roommate and his girlfriend, who was also my roommate) and all we did was sit there and play Rook. We are not party people.
12. My middle name is Nicole.
13. I’m not a morning person. At all. Morning people make me want to punch things. It’s not that I don’t like them, it’s that I don’t appreciate the lack of respect they often show for other people. Non-morning people only ask that you just give us the space we need while we sip our coffee and wake up. Just because you like mornings doesn’t mean you need to piss me off as soon as climb out of bed.
14. Zach and I will have officially been together for 8 years this December.
15. I don’t wear earrings or bracelets. They make me uncomfortable.
16. I love fall and winter candles, as long as they’re not apple, cinnamon, or pumpkin based (there are two exceptions to this rule–one is “Pumpkin Nutmeg” from some off-brand I found at Kroger and the other is “Apple Cider” from Bath & Body Works). I prefer things like “Autumn Day” from Bath & Body Works, “Sage & Thyme” from Glade, or “Lavender & Cedarwood” from Essential Elements. That last one is my absolute favorite candle, period. For Christmas, I like candles that smell like Christmas trees, cranberries, cedar wood, or peppermint.
17. The idea of going to a spa freaks me out. I don’t like it when strangers touch me.
18. I have one brother and one sister. I am the oldest. Zach also has one brother and one sister and he is the oldest.
19. Zach is the youngest man I’ve ever been with. Before him, I went out with guys who were anywhere from 4-8 years my senior. I just lied to my parents about it. (I’d apologize, but I’m not sorry.)
20. My brother and I were born on the same day of the week–Tuesday.
21. I like low-key surprises, like, “Surprise! We’re going on a trip” or “Surprise! I got you something,” but I would never go for a surprise party. (Zach: Don’t ever throw me a surprise party. Seriously.)
22. Sweater jackets are my favorite.
23. I hate doing my make-up and hair. Most days, I just dab on a little concealer, brush my hair, and call it quits.
24. In school, I actually liked math. It was fun, but I wasn’t good at it. I did well on the homework and I understood the concepts in class, but I was awful when it came to testing. Which is sad, because I really did enjoy it.
25. I think the class I miss most is world history, though. I loved taking notes. 😛
26. I’ve never been pregnant, but I’ve had stretchmarks since I was about 11 or 12. I developed really early. So early that girls used to make fun of me for stuffing my bra. I didn’t see the point in being teased for something that I could prove wasn’t true, so I flashed them one day in the locker room. That fixed it.
27. A couple years ago at a Christmas party, a girl I went to high school with (who was one of the “popular” crowd) confessed to Zach that she was afraid of me in school. Which explains a lot about my high school experience, actually. I was teased a lot growing up, but never in high school. Not once. (Though I don’t know what made her feel that way. I didn’t dislike her or anything and I never did anything to anyone. She was nice and incredibly smart.)
As for plans, Zach and I celebrated yesterday since Monday is inconvenient. (Not that it’s anything unusual for me. When I was in college, my birthday always fell in the middle of midterm exams, so I never really celebrated it.)
Anyway, yesterday we skipped out on our group so we could spend time alone together. We hung out at the mall for a bit, checked out a Halloween store, got a pizza, made a caramel apple cake, and watched Alien and Raising Hope. You know what’s crazy? Until last night, we had never seen Alien. We knew all the iconic scenes and quotes, but we’d never actually sat through the whole movie. It was pretty slow to start, but ultimately enjoyable.
We played some games together and Zach gave me a Genesis Multi-Purpose Oscillating Tool, so now I can finish my kitchen table! Except that my parents got me The Sims 4, so…goodbye, life and responsibilities. 😛 (I’ll try to keep updating, but if you don’t hear from me for a while…it’s because I have an addiction. Send help.) Today, we’re going to watch last night’s episode of The Walking Dead and then…who knows what. 😛 Whatever we feel like I guess.
Anyway, have a great Monday!
Also, leave some random facts about yourself in the comments!